Are there any proven attraction techniques.

Bat Houses Bat House Discussion!

Are there any proven attraction techniques.

Postby flyin-lowe » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:26 pm

As newbie I am full of questions. I will probably have my house in the air this week sometime. I am in Indiana so i want to get it up ASAP. I have heard some talk about guano being used, but I haven't paid much attention. Assuming my house is suitable and the location is suitable is there anything that can be done to help improve your chances, or is it just time to sit and wait? My house dimensions and plans are in my previous post, as well as a picture of my site. I am going to try to get the house15 foot or higher if possible, facing south south east. It will get full son. Any type of sounds or anything else that can help attract bats to my new house?
flyin-lowe

Re: Are there any proven attraction techniques.

Postby Terry Lobdell » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:55 pm

If I remember correctly from your previous posts you are in ideal habitat........that may be all you'll need........

The only thing I've tried that seems to work is mounting a previously used box in hopes that the scent will attract them.........It seems to have worked in a few locations.......However I cannot prove that was the reason I got bats so quickly......

I have also mounted pieces of wood lath on the landing pads of some of my heavily used boxes so they can absorb scent from the urine.

Then once they are covered with urine I will move them to boxes where I am trying to attract bats........I have yet to actually move the urine soaked strips of lath to other locations though.......but then with the spread of wns maybe it's not a good idea.......

Good habitat seems to be the best attractant........close proximity to lakes and trout streams.........Here in PA I have no trouble getting bats close to trout streams.........
Terry Lobdell

Postby flyin-lowe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:23 am

I think I have a good spot, but again I am new so who know. There is only one way to tell!
flyin-lowe

Postby Emersombiguns » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:35 am

For last 2 years I have bought some bat guano from 2 guys on ebay. One is Lyle caves who gets his from cave in NW Ark. I have put it on top of house and in a black plastic MW food container underneath on a u bolt- and moved it close to opening. Most will say it makes no difference, but I have seen my numbers increase last 2 yrs. You can see it on the pix I posted last night . I have 87 in there as of last night. Go read article avail abut H.Kizer who did so on his house near Zwolle,La on Toledo Bend. He increase his number dramatically. He is the guy who put a wook duck house on top of bat house and both co-existed fine. :eek: I do believe scent is the key. They won't touch a new house 6" away from this one with 87 and it was put up last May..
Emersombiguns

Postby flyin-lowe » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:06 pm

I won't have my house hung up until this week, would it be a good idea to set it outside just to let it start airing out from the fresh paint last week. My dad has a little bit of guano in his garage floor from a bat he had in there? Maybe I should place some of it in the house this week before I hang the house up?????
flyin-lowe

Return to BAT HOUSE DISCUSSION